Bacon Cheeseburger Buns Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Ketchup or barbecue sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add bacon and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into an 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; cut each into six squares. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each square. Bring corners together in the center and pinch to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. Serve warm with ketchup if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Bacon Cheeseburger Buns
Sort By :
"I plan on making a batch of these as soon as I get the ingredients. I read one review and it said she freezes them on cookie sheets before baking them. I want to do the same and be able to pull out as many as I need and then bake. Can anyone tell me whether I would need to thaw before baking or just bake frozen. Thanks for your help and advice."
"I made these for the Sunday games in the Man Cave and the guys loved them... The bread was very good and the bacon cheeseburger flavor was great. On the "keeper" list."
"Great for kids to grab!"
"My kids loved these! They are a lot of work but turned out great!"
"Used to make cheeseburger buns, similar to these, but the whole dough was wrapped entirely around the meat mixture. They made a lot, but they froze beautifully. Always great to have in a pinch, just pop in the microwave for a quick meal. This was also a TOH recipe from way back."