Bacon Cheeseburger Buns Recipe
This is a fun way to serve bacon cheeseburgers without all the fuss of assembling the sandwiches to serve a gang. These convenient packets can be dipped into ketchup or barbecue sauce as you eat them. —Marjorie Miller, Haven, Kansas
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Ketchup or barbecue sauce, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add bacon and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into an 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; cut each into six squares. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each square. Bring corners together in the center and pinch to seal.
- 5. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with butter. Serve warm, with ketchup if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 sandwich equals 310 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 720 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC