Bacon-Cheese Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded Romano cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat ricotta and 4 ounces cream cheese until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, Parmesan cheese, bacon, 1 tablespoon parsley, garlic salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture. Spoon into shells; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream, broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Romano cheese and the remaining cream cheese, Asiago and parsley.
- 5. Pour over shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
2 stuffed shells equals 554 calories, 42 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.