Bacon-Cheese Puff Pie Recipe
This recipe comes from my grandma, and it's one of my family's favorites—we love the combination of bacon, tomatoes and cheese. It's great for brunch at any time of year.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large tomato, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes longer. Cool completely.
- 2. Sprinkle bacon over the crust. Top with tomato and cheese. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, sour cream, flour and salt until smooth. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into sour cream mixture; spread over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 518 calories, 35 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 901 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC