Bacon-Cheese Pinwheel Rolls Recipe
It's no wonder my husband adores these pinwheels. I got the original recipe from his mother. They taste great warm or cold and freeze well in plastic bags.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8-3/4 to 9-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, eggs, salt, 7 cups flour and remaining water and sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Cook onion in drippings until tender; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Sprinkle each with a fourth of the cheese, about 1/3 cup bacon and about 2 tablespoons onion.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. Place cut side down 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Bacon-Cheese Pinwheel Rolls in Country Woman March/April 2004, p31
Reviews for Bacon-Cheese Pinwheel Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review