Bacon Cheese Fondue
When I'm looking for an appetizer with mass appeal but want a change from the usual cheese spread, this is the recipe I make. Everyone enjoys the rich flavor. Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
12-14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 to 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. In the drippings, saute onion
- until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir until
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese cubes; cook and stir until melted.
- Stir in sour cream, jalapeno if desired and bacon; cook and stir
- just until heated through. Transfer to a fondue pot and keep warm.
- Serve with bread cubes. Yield: 3-3/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 4 tablespoons equals 305 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 647 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.