Bacon Cheese Biscuits
In Douglas, Georgia, Kimberly Harrell can stir up a golden batch of these simple savory biscuits in no time. With bacon and cheese throughout, they make a nice accompaniment to soup or chili.
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking soda. Cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk
- just until combined. Fold in the bacon and cheese.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 4-5 times. Roll out to
- 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for
- 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire
- rack. Serve warm. Yield: 9 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 319 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 693 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10 g protein.