Bacon-Cheddar Meat Loaves Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup crushed reduced-fat Ritz crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 1/3 cup plus 8 teaspoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 turkey bacon strips, cut in half
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, crackers, 1/3 cup cheese, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four small loaves; place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top each with a half-strip of bacon.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 meat loaf equals 296 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.