Bacon Blueberry Scones Recipe
“Blueberry scones offer a nice alternative to muffins in the morning,” writes Patricia Harmon from Baden, Pennsylvania. “And the bacon adds a savory twist to this recipe, making the scones a nice addition to a brunch…or any time at all with a cup of coffee.” TIP: Sprinkle the tops of scones with sugar for a sweeter taste and a little sparkle!
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk and oil; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in blueberries and bacon.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; brush over scones. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 256 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC