Bacon Blueberry Scones Recipe
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk and oil; add to crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in blueberries and bacon.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; brush over scones. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Bacon Blueberry Scones(2)
Sort By :
I have made these twice now and both times they turned out great! I added a little shredded cheddar to mine. I love the salty taste of the bacon with the sweet blueberries. It gives these a very decadent flavor.
I just made these and they are fantastic - gotta love the bacon! I did some minor extra steps which was to dredge the blueberries and bacon in a light dusting of flour just before adding them to the dough (definitely keep the blueberries in the freezer until you're ready to use them); plus I only kneaded the dough about 4 times to just gather it into a ball and very lightly flattened it with my rolling pin so the wedges would be tall like in the photo. I also used raw sugar crystals for the topping for added crunch. One other tip, I always wash my hands in cold water before I handle dough that depends on being flakey, in case my hands are too warm from activity - anything to keep those flakes! ;)