Bacon-Beef Barley Soup Recipe
Here’s a robust dish that’s perfect for hungry teenage boys! Served over creamy mashed potatoes, this quick, comforting soup will really hit the spot. —Cathy Peterson, Menominee, Michigan
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef and onion until meat is browned; drain.
- 2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture and bacon. Combine the broth, tomatoes, gravy and pepper; pour over top (do not stir).
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/3 cups (calculated without mashed potatoes) equals 319 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,218 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Bacon-Beef Barley Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC