- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef and onion until meat is browned; drain.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture and bacon. Combine the broth, tomatoes, gravy and pepper; pour over top (do not stir).
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Bacon-Beef Barley Soup
"Yummy! I changed a lot though - didn't have any barley and not really into canned gravy. I made it on the stovetop, added green beans, and a healthy dose of herbs: sage, thyme, rosemary and a dash of cayenne and white pepper. Served with hot skillet corn bread. So good!"
"Great recipe! My husband loves it! The bacon adds such great flavor to the meat. Thanks for a recipe I'll make often."
"didnt think it was anything special"
"Good but I like my Beef Barley soup better. This just needs more seasoning."