Bacon Baklava Recipe
Who says bacon can't be dessert? One bite of this surprisingly good Bacon Baklava will convert any naysayers. —Preci D'Silva, Dubai, United Arab Emerates
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- 2. Coarsely crumble bacon into a food processor; add almonds and dates. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- 3. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- 4. Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 5. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 piece equals 235 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 485 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC