- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely crumble bacon into a food processor; add almonds and dates. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Bacon Baklava in Taste of Home April/May 2010, p70
Reviews for Bacon Baklava(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Greek Desserts >
- Greek Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >