- 1-1/2 pounds bacon strips
- 1 cup toasted chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Coarsely crumble bacon into a food processor; add almonds and dates. Cover and process until finely chopped.
- Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Bacon Baklava(3)
Sort By :
Okay...despite the political debate about this recipe...it looks true to Baklava, and I can't wait to make it. I'm not giving anything less than 5 stars, because I don't want to taint the rating.
Just like the entire US is not made up of one religion, neither is Dubai:
UAE Nationals make up less than 20% of the total population in this predominantly ex-patriot built land. The nationals are known as Emiratis. Ethnic Groups
Emirati 19%, other Arab and Iranian 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8%
Have the people of Dubai converted to Christianity and are now eating pork as a DESSERT?
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Greek Desserts >
- Greek Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >