- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 9 cups frozen french-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain. In the same skillet, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the green beans, salt, garlic powder and pepper; heat through. Stir in lemon juice and bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Bacon and Garlic Green Beans in Country Woman October/November 2011, p26
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Bacon and Garlic Green Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2014
"The perfect green bean recipe!"
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2013
"I halved the recipe and used wine AND a tiny bit of chicken bouillon. It was quite good. I will definitely make it again."