Bacon-Almond Broccoli Medley
Broccoli, yellow pepper and bacon bits combine in a sweet, buttery sauce for this colorful veggie side. Sliced almonds add nice crunch. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli spears
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place the broccoli in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish; add water. Cover
- and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute yellow pepper in butter until
- tender. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved.
- Drain broccoli; place in a serving bowl. Add the pepper mixture,
- bacon and almonds; toss to coat. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 140 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable,