Bacon 'n' Veggie Pasta Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until broccoli and carrots are tender.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic until tender; add to tomato mixture and heat through.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a serving bowl; top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 13 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 205 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.