"When the weather turns chilly, our daughter, who is an inventive cook, transforms her favorite cold pasta salad into this warm, hearty side dish," notes Muriel Hollenbeck of Sedalia, Colorado. "I love recipes like this one that bring compliments and don't keep me in the kitchen too long."
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until broccoli and carrots are tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic until tender; add to tomato mixture and heat through.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a serving bowl; top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 13 servings.
Originally published as Bacon 'N' Veggie Pasta in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p45
Reviews for Bacon 'n' Veggie Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review