Bacon 'n' Onion Carrots
BESIDES being colorful, this side dish complements a variety of meats…pork, beef or poultry, certainly a fitting vegetable for harvest meals. The mild flavor of the carrots is enhanced by the bacon and onion combination.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place carrots in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving
- 2 teaspoons drippings. Saute onion in the drippings. Stir in brown
- sugar and pepper until brown sugar is melted.
- Drain carrots; toss with onion mixture. Top with bacon. Yield: 2