I started with a meat loaf recipe I had that includes horseradish and added a few other complementary flavors. The results were a moist meat loaf with visible bits of veggies and plenty of savory flavor.—Cheryl Moring, New Edinburg, Arkansas
Recommended: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound bacon strips
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Add the egg, horseradish, wine, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, flour, brown sugar and seasonings. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Pat into an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Place bacon strips over meat loaf; tuck in ends.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55 minutes. Combine tomatoes and tomato sauce; spoon over loaf. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Bacon & Tomato-Topped Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p101
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Bacon & Tomato-Topped Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review