- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil
- until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large
- bowl; cool slightly.
- Add the egg, horseradish, wine, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bread
- crumbs, flour, brown sugar and seasonings. Crumble beef and sausage
- over mixture and mix well. Pat into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf
- pan. Place bacon strips over meat loaf; tuck in ends.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55 minutes. Combine tomatoes and
- tomato sauce; spoon over loaf. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until no
- pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 472 calories, 34 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 1,353 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.