Bacon & Tomato-Topped Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound bacon strips
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- 2. Add the egg, horseradish, wine, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, flour, brown sugar and seasonings. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Pat into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Place bacon strips over meat loaf; tuck in ends.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55 minutes. Combine tomatoes and tomato sauce; spoon over loaf. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 472 calories, 34 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 1,353 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.