Bacon & Oyster Stuffing Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole oysters, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the parsley, sage, thyme, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- 2. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; add celery mixture and bacon. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, broth, oysters and wine. Add to bread mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 273 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 766 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.