Bacon & Marinated Mushroom Salad Recipe
When I first served this refreshing salad more than 20 years ago, friends couldn't say enough about it. The marinated mushrooms are conveniently made the night before.—Sheila Christensen, San Marcos, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 green onions, cut into fourths
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 pound thick-sliced peppered bacon strips
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Cherry tomatoes and ripe olives, optional
- 1. In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and process until onions are finely chopped. Place mushrooms in a large bowl; add olive oil mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon; stir into mushroom mixture.
- 3. Divide the romaine, leaf lettuce and onion among eight salad plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture. Garnish with tomatoes and olives if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (calculated without tomatoes and olives) equals 278 calories, 26 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC