Bacon & Cheese Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrot and onion; cook and stir until tender. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crumbled bacon, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings and carrot mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- 3. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; mix well. Pat onto meat loaf; let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Remove to a platter. Yield: 1 loaf (8 servings).
1 slice equals 469 calories, 31 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 190 mg cholesterol, 1,072 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.