Bacon & Cheddar Strata Recipe
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble into a small bowl. Add red pepper, onions and tomatoes. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread, bacon mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread and bacon mixture.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Bacon & Cheddar Strata
Sort By :
This was so good! I would absolutely make this again. I followed the suggestion of another reviewer and used 8 eggs. Also, after uncovering, I did have to bake it for 15 - 20 minutes instead of the 5 - 10 it called for.
Very nice - took it into work and brought home an empty pan.
I fixed this for breakfast the morning after Christmas. Granddaughter said it was "amazing"! I used 8 eggs as others suggested and added 1/2 pound of sausage to the bacon. Will be making again!
Very good! Although I think either I should have cooked it at 375 degrees covered or maybe 1 hr covered and then 5 - 10 uncovered, the middle wasn't done. (so we just ate around the middle, saved that for re-heating leftovers.) Also used 8 eggs and 1% millk.
I knew my bacon lovin' family would love this. I was right. I substituted some slightly stale Italian bread. Something a little chewy. It was delicious!