Bacon & Cheddar Strata Recipe
I prepare this sunrise specialty the day before Christmas so we have something cheesy and hearty to warm our tummies while we open gifts the next morning. The key to its perfection is to let it set overnight.—Deb Healey, Cold Lake, Alberta
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble into a small bowl. Add red pepper, onions and tomatoes. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread, bacon mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread and bacon mixture.
- 2. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving equals 340 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 736 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Bacon & Cheddar Strata
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC