Bacon & Cheddar Strata Recipe
- 1 pound bacon strips
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon in batches until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble into a small bowl. Add red pepper, onions and tomatoes. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread, bacon mixture and cheese. Top with remaining bread and bacon mixture.
- 2. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, mayonnaise and seasonings. Pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece: 340 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein
Reviews for Bacon & Cheddar Strata
"This was so good! I would absolutely make this again. I followed the suggestion of another reviewer and used 8 eggs. Also, after uncovering, I did have to bake it for 15 - 20 minutes instead of the 5 - 10 it called for."
"Very nice - took it into work and brought home an empty pan."
"I fixed this for breakfast the morning after Christmas. Granddaughter said it was "amazing"! I used 8 eggs as others suggested and added 1/2 pound of sausage to the bacon. Will be making again!"
"Very good! Although I think either I should have cooked it at 375 degrees covered or maybe 1 hr covered and then 5 - 10 uncovered, the middle wasn't done. (so we just ate around the middle, saved that for re-heating leftovers.) Also used 8 eggs and 1% millk."
"I knew my bacon lovin' family would love this. I was right. I substituted some slightly stale Italian bread. Something a little chewy. It was delicious!"
"Very delicious. Sucks you have to leave it overnight because it just looks and smells so delicious you can't wait to eat it."
"Made this for a Breakfast at work, everyone loved it.Easy to make. I used Skim (Fat Free) Milk in place of 2%. Couldn't tell the difference"
"A truly wonderful recipe for a hearty morning meal that doesn't require you to get up at the crack of dawn. Make it the night before, let it sit covered in the refrigerator overnight. Pop it in the oven before making the morning coffee. Yum!"
"I looked at this recipe because we have lots of eggs. I thought strata contained eggs. Our chickens are laying real good and I need recipes for eggs. HOWEVER the recipe was very good, and like kcc mine was flatter, but oh so good!"
"instead of using the cubed bread, try cubed potatoes."
"Mine came out a bit flatter than the picture but tasted awesome; even reheated a few days later."