Back to School Cupcakes Recipe
- 22 cupcakes of your choice
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Yellow, black and red paste food coloring
- Chocolate wafers, miniature cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies and vanilla wafers
- Other paste food coloring of your choice
- Coarse sugar
- On a covered cake board, place a row of five cupcakes for top of bus. Arrange six cupcakes each in the second and third rows. Follow with a row of five cupcakes.
- Tint 2-1/2 cups vanilla frosting yellow; carefully spread over cupcakes. Spread vanilla frosting over cupcakes as desired for windows. Place a chocolate wafer on each tire; attach a miniature sandwich cookie hubcap with frosting.
- Tint a small amount of vanilla frosting black and a small amount red; set aside. Pipe outlines and desired details onto bus with black frosting.
- Place a vanilla wafer in each window. Tint remaining frosting as desired. Pipe faces on vanilla wafers; pipe hair, hats and shirts as desired.
- Spread red frosting onto cupcakes for stop sign and taillights. Fill in headlights with coarse sugar. Yield: 22 cupcakes.
Reviews for Back to School Cupcakes
Sort By :
"Very easy to make and I made my own frosting using powdered sugar, 2% milk and natural butter. I used the lowfat chocolate wafers for the wheels. The kids loved them. To all of you naysayers out there, get a life. If you don't like it, you don't have to make it. Submit one of your own!"
"These are very cute! I am a school teacher and I would love to receive these during our school year."
"Super cute! (And to the reviewer who was upset about the recipe starting the kids school year off by feeding them artificial colorong and sugar and trans fats, you can always make your own healthier version of the cupcakes and frosting and just use the pattern as an idea. No need to get all upset about it. Its just cupcakes! )"
"I think this is a really fun way to get kids geared up for back to school! I plan on making this with the kids.....they'll love it!"