These hearty treats are great for an after-school snack or to share with friends. With a glass of cold milk, they’re an irresistible snack. —Frances Pierce, Waddington, New York
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg whites and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the cereal, nuts, coconut and oats.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Back-to-School Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p39
Reviews for Back-to-School Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review