Back-to-School Cookies Recipe
These hearty treats are great for an after-school snack or to share with friends. With a glass of cold milk, they’re an irresistible snack. —Frances Pierce, Waddington, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:78 servings
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg whites and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the cereal, nuts, coconut and oats.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 103 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC