- with remaining dough. Set the two large rectangle pieces aside.
- Separate the remaining eggs, placing 1 yolk each in three small
- bowls. Tint one red, one blue and one green.
- With an appropriate-size paintbrush and black food coloring, outline
- the school roof, windows and door and the apple leaf and stem. Paint
- the cookie cutouts with tinted yolks to resemble the cookies shown
- in the photo or as desired.
- Bake cutouts at 350° for 8-9 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Immediately recut the shapes. If cookies cool too quickly, return to
- oven until softened. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Brush over the two
- large rectangular puzzles. (Discard any remaining egg white.)
- Sprinkle with yellow colored sugar. Transfer puzzles with parchment
- paper to baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately
- recut shapes inside puzzles. Cool completely before removing from
- parchment paper. Place each puzzle on a covered board. Fit cookie
- cutouts inside puzzles. Yield: 2 cookie puzzles.
Crafter thoughts: The decorated cutouts can make appealing treats even without the puzzle. or Adapt this idea for a birthday event by picking cookie cutters that coordinate with the party's theme.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 256 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.