VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless venison, elk, moose or beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut meat into 1/4-in. pieces. In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onions, green pepper, garlic and pepper flakes until vegetables are tender. Return meat to pan. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until the meat is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Bachelor Chili in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p59
Reviews forBachelor Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2016
"I have decided that this recipe is a good one!I did rate it as a 5 and I admit that I HAD made a number of ingredient adjustments and on the cooking time. delowestein"