36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and
- cardamom. In a saucepan, heat milk to 120°-130°; stir in
- butter until melted. Add to flour mixture; beat until smooth. Stir
- in egg yolks, lemon peel and enough remaining flour to form a
- moderately stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead in raisins and candied fruit.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in
- a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a