- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-2/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and cardamom. In a saucepan, heat milk to 120°-130°; stir in butter until melted. Add to flour mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in egg yolks, lemon peel and enough remaining flour to form a moderately stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead in raisins and candied fruit. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in thirds. Transfer to three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; brush over loaves while warm. Yield: 3 loaves.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC