Dry and candied fruit studded sweet yeast breads are soaked in a sweet rum glaze. The rum is subtle, so it is suitable as a dessert or on a brunch buffet.—Diane Halferty, Tucson, Arizona
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- RUM SYRUP:
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup spiced rum
- 12 red candied cherries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the butter, milk and water to 120°-130°. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add eggs, egg yolk and 3/4 cup flour; beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the fruit and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir dough down. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape dough into 24 balls and place in well-greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring water and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is syrupy, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in rum.
- Bake cakes at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Poke holes in cakes with a fork; slowly pour 1 tablespoon rum syrup over each cake. Top each with a cherry half. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Baba au Rhum Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p114
Reviews for Baba au Rhum Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review