- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chili powder, divided
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned green chilies
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 3/4 cup beer
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated dark chocolate
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle beef and pork with half of the chili powder. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in batches in 2 tablespoons oil; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, chilies and remaining chili powder; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, beer, tomato sauce, chocolate, cumin, oregano, salt, mustard, cayenne and meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili in Taste of Home
Reviews for Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2012
Have prepared this chili several times. The chocolate adds a rich colour to the sauce. Excellent tasting chili!