Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili Recipe
For an extra-spicy kick, double the chili powder, but make sure you've got a cool drink close by! —Eugene Jarzab Jr., Phoenix, Arizona
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chili powder, divided
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned green chilies
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 3/4 cup beer
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated dark chocolate
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Sprinkle beef and pork with half of the chili powder. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in batches in 2 tablespoons oil; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, chilies and remaining chili powder; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the broth, beer, tomato sauce, chocolate, cumin, oregano, salt, mustard, cayenne and meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 637 calories, 38g fat (11g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 1285mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 57g protein.
Reviews for Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC