For an extra-spicy kick, double the chili powder, but make sure you've got a cool drink close by! —Eugene Jarzab Jr., Phoenix, Arizona
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chili powder, divided
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned green chilies
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 3/4 cup beer
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated dark chocolate
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle beef and pork with half of the chili powder. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in batches in 2 tablespoons oil; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, chilies and remaining chili powder; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, beer, tomato sauce, chocolate, cumin, oregano, salt, mustard, cayenne and meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili in Taste of Home
Reviews for Award-Winning Chuck Wagon Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 10, 2012
"Have prepared this chili several times. The chocolate adds a rich colour to the sauce. Excellent tasting chili!"