Avocado Soup Recipe
Bernyce Orm shares a deliciously different use for avocados with this warm, rich and creamy soup. The Ojai, California reader adds sour cream and bacon bits to garnish the smooth sensation.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Place avocados in a blender; add potato mixture. Cover and puree. Return to the pan; heat through. Garnish with sour cream and bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 241 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 658 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC