- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Lettuce leaves, red onion slices and/or tomato slices, optional
- Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter
- and place over a bowl. Place yogurt in strainer; cover yogurt with
- edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. Pat
- cucumber dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt,
- cucumber and remaining sauce ingredients. Cover and chill until
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, basil and garlic. Spread over
- cut sides of bun; set aside.
- For burgers, in a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Crumble lamb over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat
- for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads
- 160° and juices run clear.
- Grill buns, cut sides down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or
- until lightly toasted. Serve burgers on buns with avocado, tzatziki
- sauce and, if desired, lettuce, onion and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 burger (calculated without optional toppings) equals 675 calories, 45 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 139 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.