Avocado Gyro Burgers Recipe
This is the best burger I have ever created. The moist, seasoned burger with Greek-style cucumber sauce makes it seem like you're eating a gyro.Aki Washington, Chicago, Illinois
- TZATZIKI SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Lettuce leaves, red onion slices and/or tomato slices, optional
- Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter and place over a bowl. Place yogurt in strainer; cover yogurt with edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. Pat cucumber dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber and remaining sauce ingredients. Cover and chill until serving.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, basil and garlic. Spread over cut sides of bun; set aside.
- For burgers, in a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble lamb over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Grill buns, cut sides down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until lightly toasted. Serve burgers on buns with avocado, tzatziki sauce and, if desired, lettuce, onion and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Avocado Gyro Burgers in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Avocado Gyro Burgers(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Burger Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Grilled Lamb >
- Grilling Hamburgers >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Ground Lamb >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Lamb >