- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground mustard, coriander and pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices Canadian bacon, warmed
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 3 English muffins, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cheeses and seasonings. Cook and stir until cheese is melted; keep warm.
- Place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken (but are not hard), about 4 minutes.
- Place Canadian bacon and avocado on each muffin half. With a slotted spoon, lift each egg out of the water and place over avocado. Top with cheese sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Avocado Eggs Benedict
"Really good! Next time we would cut the cheese sauce in half. We had a ton left over even after using a generous amount on each serving. (Of course, that will probably turn into mac and cheese for lunch- so it's all good!!)."
"So excellent to eat I really enjoy"
"Great! I made it without the avocado, since I was just looking for a better sauce recipe than others I'd tried. It was a hit!"
"great for breakfast would have it again"
"I used a Hollandaise sauce mix for this recipe. It was good that way too."
"TOH login comments page"