- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 pound rotisserie chicken, cut into strips
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Brush one side of each pita bread with oil. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until browned and crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mash avocado with the lemon juice, salt, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Spread over pitas. Layer with chicken, tomato and cheese.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Avocado Chicken Pitas
"This was very good. The pesto is what made this recipe. I think next time I am going to add some bacon, olives, cilantro and green onion for toppers just for more yummy goodness."
"After seeing the picture, i was very intigued. I never thought you can have a "pizza" with avocado "sauce". :)I didnt have pita bread on hand so i made dough by using another recipe on this site: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Parmesan-Breadsticks-2I know its for bread sticks but it was very good as a pizza dough :) i baked a pizza dough and put on the toppings to heat again. I didnt use the hot pepper or e lemon juice (not a big fan of either) but i did spice it up a li'l with paprika and regular pepper. My 20 month old devoured a slice (without the added paprika) yum yum!"
"Very good and easy."
"delicious and easy! the pita bread makes a nice crispy crust."
"My family loves this recipe and have made it many times. It is quick and easy-definitely try this!"