Avocado Chicken Casserole
From Clarksville, Texas, Martha Sue Stroud relates, "Avocados look luscious in this easy layered casserole, and they melt in your mouth."
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, marjoram and thyme
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and seasonings until
- smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer with half of the
- noodles, avocados, chicken, white sauce and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes
- longer or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.