I often assemble this vegetable casserole early in the morning and refrigerate. Just before baking, I top it with the buttered bread crumbs. —Sharon Gerow, Foothill Ranch, California
- 3 cups diced rutabagas
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place rutabagas in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add carrots. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted. Add vegetables; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter in a small skillet. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetables; top with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Autumn Vegetables Au Gratin in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p124
Reviews for Autumn Vegetables Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review