Autumn Vegetables Au Gratin Recipe
- 3 cups diced rutabagas
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place rutabagas in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add carrots. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted. Add vegetables; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Melt the remaining butter in a small skillet. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetables; top with the remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Vegetables Au Gratin(2)
Sort By :
I had never used rutabaga before. They're really hard to cut through, and tasted kind of like a turnip. My only change was to use stuffing cubes in place of the bread crumbs.
rutabegas and carrots cook for the same amount of time (20min) then add potatoes cook another 15min. Otherwise potatoes are mush. I diced everything 1/2in square. Boiled milk mixture in microwave 1min, stir, repeat until as thick as I wanted, approx. 4min