Autumn Vegetable Mash
I stop mashing before the veggies get too smooth because I like a chunky texture. But go ahead and keep mashing if you like them smoother. — Dana Balter, Naples, Florida
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large celery roots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, parsnips, celery roots, broth
- and 2 teaspoons salt. Add water to cover vegetables. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a large bowl; reserve
- cooking liquid. Mash vegetables, gradually adding the milk, garlic
- powder, pepper, remaining salt and enough reserved cooking liquid to
- reach desired consistency. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).