Autumn Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
THIS RECIPE was given to me by a dear friend many years ago. Served with homemade bread and a green salad, it makes a wonderful meal. Even people who don't like turnips find they enjoy their distinctive flavor in this stew. -Martha Tonnies, Ft. Michell, Kentucky
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:4 servings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1. Combine salt, pepper and paprika; toss with beef. In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown beef in oil. Sprinkle with flour; stir well. Add water, onion, tomato sauce, bouillon, caraway seeds and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add potatoes, turnips and carrots; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 297 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,249 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC