Autumn Tossed Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1. In a blender, combine the lemon juice, sugar, onion, mustard and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a small pitcher or bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, cheese, cashews, apple, pear and cranberries. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 10 servings.
1 each: 327 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Autumn Tossed Salad
"Great salad, I take it to all pot luck parties. I usually use Asian pears because they are firmer."
"This salad is fantastic!! The flavors are very subtle, but you can taste every one of them (I thought the Swiss cheese would be weird, but it was PERFECT!!!) Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe."
"One of my favorite winter salads, I usually make without the pear , just apples. To make ahead, prepare the dressing and slice the apples into the dressing, put remainder of ingredients together then toss dressing with salad just before serving."
"This combination of greens, fruit, nuts and cheese is wonderful! But I often "cheat" and use a bottled poppy seed dressing."