- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a blender, combine the lemon juice, sugar, onion, mustard and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a small pitcher or bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, cheese, cashews, apple, pear and cranberries. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Tossed Salad
Sort By :
"This salad is fantastic!! The flavors are very subtle, but you can taste every one of them (I thought the Swiss cheese would be weird, but it was PERFECT!!!) Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe."
"One of my favorite winter salads, I usually make without the pear , just apples. To make ahead, prepare the dressing and slice the apples into the dressing, put remainder of ingredients together then toss dressing with salad just before serving."
"This combination of greens, fruit, nuts and cheese is wonderful! But I often "cheat" and use a bottled poppy seed dressing."
"I made this as part of a Thanksgiving dinner and that one time was all it took. My family asks for this salad ALL the time. Make it, you won't be sorry!"