Autumn Torte Rustica Recipe
- 1 small butternut squash (1-1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place squash slices on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spritz with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine two eggs, cheeses and sage. In a small bowl, whisk water and remaining egg; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the spinach, garlic and nutmeg. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; set aside.
- Unfold one pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 14-in. square. Press onto bottom and up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan, allowing excess pastry to drape over edges. Brush with reserved egg mixture.
- Layer with half of the squash, cheese mixture and spinach. Repeat layers. Roll out the remaining pastry into a 10-in. square; place over filling. Trim edges; fold the bottom pastry over the top and press edges to seal. Reroll pastry trimmings. Cut out with a small leaf cookie cutter; place on torte. Brush pastry with egg mixture.
- Place pan on baking sheet. Bake at 400° 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Autumn Torte Rustica
Sort By :
"So beautiful! Turned out a lot like the picture. Based on other reviews I was concerned about the flavor so I:- added extra squash (roasted with s&p and garlic powder),- included a layer of roasted red peppers,- added an extra clove of garlic to the spinach mixture and carmelized the onions as well- added 1/2 tsp each of ground thyme and poultry seasoning to the sage/cheese mixture,- substituted one cup of the ricotta with a cup of crumble feta."
"I was psyched to try this recipe and it lived up to my expectations! I just automatically season with salt as I cook anything. The friend I shared this meal with also gave it rave reviews. I look forward to producing this again, with just a bit more squash."
"This is delicious! Great at room temperature and I would definitely make this the day before to let all the flavors meld together. Made this for Christmas last year as an appatizer and everyone loved it!"
"P.S. I used organic filo dough because it's what I had on hand which worked great - more flaky and held up well."
"This torte turned out beautiful and delicious. If you prep the ingredients and follow step by step, it's actually quite easy to make, too. Wonderful and yummy!"