Autumn Torte Rustica
The wonderful flavor and lovely look of this cheese and vegetable pie is worth the bit of extra effort it takes to prepare it. The butternut squash adds a subtle sweetness that's irresistible. Slices make a great appetizer, or serve it with soup or salad as a light meal. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 small butternut squash (1-1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place squash slices on baking sheet coated
- with cooking spray. Lightly spritz with cooking spray. Bake 15
- minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine two eggs, cheeses and sage. In a small
- bowl, whisk water and remaining egg; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the
- spinach, garlic and nutmeg. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; set aside.
- Unfold one pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into