Autumn Surprise Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 cups sliced peeled ripe pears
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 egg white
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough into two balls, one slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Coat pie plate with cooking spray; transfer pastry to plate.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, pears and raisins. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; add to fruit mixture and toss. Sprinkle with extract; toss well. Spoon into crust.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush lattice with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 331 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Autumn Surprise Pie
"The crust for this pie is delicious, and I will definitely save the recipe. I will not likely use the same filling - the apples and pears are a different consistency (one ends up a little crunchier than the other), and it is too spicy for my taste. I prefer a simple cinnamon-sugar combo for this type of pie."