Autumn Surprise Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 cups sliced peeled ripe pears
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 egg white
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough into two balls, one slightly larger than the other. On a lightly floured surface, roll larger ball to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Coat pie plate with cooking spray; transfer pastry to plate.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the apples, pears and raisins. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; add to fruit mixture and toss. Sprinkle with extract; toss well. Spoon into crust.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush lattice with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 331 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Autumn Surprise Pie
"We love this pie! It's tastes wonderful and is different from the standard apple pie. I swapped dried cranberries for the raisins though."
"The crust for this pie is delicious, and I will definitely save the recipe. I will not likely use the same filling - the apples and pears are a different consistency (one ends up a little crunchier than the other), and it is too spicy for my taste. I prefer a simple cinnamon-sugar combo for this type of pie."